(Traditional potato stuffed bonda filled with spicy green chutney)
April month at Cuizine de Haza is snack month. Ramadan is fast approaching and everyone is eager to collect some snack recipes so that it can be easily made during the fasting month to break the fast without wasting much time on thinking what has to be made everyday. So, at CdH whatsapp group, the event is “Chaaya k endh kadikum?”which means what will you munch on for tea ? Have been getting some amazing entries and recipes . This is my entry for the event.
I had made this green chutney bonda a long while ago, when my in laws visited us. They really loved this spicy tangy traditional snack with a twist. They munched on and enjoyed this bonda for tea, which was a happy moment for me. Impressing in- laws with your culinary skills is something called a great achievement in every daughter in law’s life. Isn’t it? Yes of course. Only daughter’s in law will know that special feeling. 🙂
Off to the recipe,
For the batter:
- Rice flour – 1/2 cup
- Maida – 1/2 cup
- Salt – As needed
- Baking soda -2 pinches (optional)
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp (optional)
- Water – 1/2- 3/4 cup
For the green chutney:
- Mint leaves – a few
- Coriander leaves – a few
- Salt – as needed
- Green chillies – 4
- Ginger – a small piece
- Coconut – 3 tbspn
- Lemon – 1/2 squeezed or
- Tamarind extract – A small gooseberry size ball
For the filling:
- Potato – 1 big boiled and mashed
- Oil – 3 tbspn
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Channa dal – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves – few
- Onion – 1 chopped
- Ginger -1 inch piece chopped
- Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander leaves – 1 fistful chopped
- Oil – as needed to deep fry
Make the filling by,
- Heat oil in a nonstick pan/ kadai, splutter mustard seeds, channa dal, curry leaves, ginger, green chillies and onion.
- Add salt and saute until it turns pink in color.
- Add the turmeric powder, stir and add the boiled and partly mashed potatoes and stir well until mixed.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves, give a stir and allow it to cool partly.
Make the green chutney by,
- Adding all the ingredients to the small jar of a mixie and blend well.
- Green chutney is ready. Set aside.
Make a thick batter (dosa batter consistency) by,
- Mixing rice flour, maida, salt, baking soda, turmeric powder and water.
- Make lemon size balls of the filling, Oil your palm, keep the ball in your palm and flatten a little. Add half a teaspoon of green chutney to the filling, roll the potato again.
- Dip the chutney stuffed potato ball in the batter.
- Heat oil in a kadai, on medium high heat deep fry the chutney bondas until golden brown .
- Serve hot with tea and ketchup.
- For the green chutney, you can either use lemon squeezed or tamarind extract.
- For the potato filling, mash the potatoes only partly so that you have some small potato chunks to bite in your chutney bonda.
- Oil your palm before assembling each bonda so that the filling does not get stuck to your hands.
- It is optional to add turmeric powder to your bonda only if you prefer your bonda to be yellow in color.