Coconut Garlic Yellow Rice
(Yummy and flavorful coconut milk flavored garlic rice)
Coconut Rice has been on my” to try” list for quite sometime but never ever had the time or mind to do so until when my father in law wanted me to cook that for him as it was his favorite. He believed I would cook it for him exactly the same way he wanted. It was his favorite since childhood and he explained to me what it would taste like giving me a hint of the ingredients that would be on the dish. I took it up as a challenge.
Success of this recipe had 3 purposes, the first and most important was making my father in law happy as he could relish his favorite rice,the second being my purpose of cooking coconut rice served and the last but not the least, the recipe on my blog.
Started of to the challenge, and there I was a successful dish, a happy father and a very very happy me… The rice was so flavorful , a one pot one, and a pressure cooker easy recipe that can be made in no time.
Off to the recipe,
- Basmati Rice – 1.5 cups
- Salt – as needed
- Coconut Oil – 3 tbspn
- Turmeric powder -1/4 tsp
- Onion – 1 big or 2 small chopped
- Cardamom – 1
- Bay leaf – 1
- Cinnamon – 2
- Cloves – 2
- Curry leaves – 2 springs
- Green chillies – 4 slit
- Coconut – 2 tbspn scraped
- Pepper corns – 10
- Garlic – 8 cloves chopped
- Coconut milk – 3 cups
- Heat coconut oil in a pressure cooker. Add cloves, cardamom, cinnamon, bay leaf and pepper corns.Fry for a few seconds.
- Add in onions, garlic , coconut scraped and saute for a few minutes.
- Add the washed and drained rice and fry for a few minutes.
- Add in salt and turmeric powder. Add the coconut milk and cook for 1 whistle.
- Open lid once the pressure is released, and fluff the rice. Serve hot with gravy of your choice and raita.
Happy Lunch with your loved ones!!!
- Cooking time and coconut milk measurement may vary according to the brand of rice. I used India Gate Basmati Rice and followed the ratio of 1:1.5 (Rice : Coconut Milk).
- You can even cook this in a non stick pot .