(Malabar style, ghee flavored rice)
Simple and powerful 😉 That is how i want to describe ghee rice. Jeerakashala aka kaima rice mildly spiced, slightly roasted in ghee and cooked to perfection . It has a beautiful aroma that spreads around the house while being cooked . Ghee rice is a favourite here because it is so filling, so tasty and so quickly made that it is perfect for a weekend lunch or a quick and heavy dinner for some surprise guests. This is my ” big” little brother’s favorite and he loves it to the core that while at a restaurant, even when we order variety food, he ends up ordering ghee rice.
I know there are tons of recipes for ghee rice in the internet, but i decided to post ghee rice because i have got various requests to post variety of rice recipes and i thought i would start with this simple and yummy ghee rice recipe. Ghee rice can be served with chicken, beef, mutton or even fish curry.Ghee rice is so flavorful that it can be eaten as it is. 🙂 Lots of rice recipes to be followed.
Off to the recipe:
For the rice:
- Jeerakashala rice – 2 1/2 cups or 500 gms
- Onion – 1/2 sliced
- Green chilly – 3 slit
- Ginger garlic paste – 2 tspn
- Bay leaf – 1
- Cloves – 3
- Cardamom – 3
- Cinnamon – 1 inch stick
- Water – 5 cups
- Ghee – 50 – 100 ml
- Coconut oil – 3 tbspn
- Salt – As needed
- Coriander leaves – few
- Coriander leaves – few chopped
- Onion – 1/2 sliced and roasted in ghee(optional)
- Raisins – 10 roasted in ghee(optional)
- Cashewnuts – 10 roasted in ghee(optional)
- Clean and wash the biriyani rice, drain the water and set aside.
- In a deep bottomed nonstick pan, add the coconut oil, half the quantity of the total ghee and when heated, add the whole spices one by one .
- Add the sliced onion, green chilly, ginger garlic paste, salt and fry for 2 mins.
- When the above veggies are sauted, add the drained rice and fry for a few minutes about 5 mins. Roasting the rice ensures that the rice grains stand separate.
- After the rice is sauted , add 5 cups of boiling water and stir well. Close the lid and cook.When the rice is 3/4 th done add the coriander leaves.
- Cook till the rice is done. Keep stirring in between so that the rice does not stick to the bottom.
- Once cooked, add the remaining ghee stir well and garnish with the coriander leaves and roasted onion, dry fruits.
Your ghee rice is ready to be served hot.
- Jeerakasala rice is also called as kaima rice or biriyani rice. Ghee rice can also be made with basmati rice.
- Water quantity may vary,according to the brand and quality of rice adjust accordingly.
- We like our ghee rice plain and simple so I have not garnished with ghee roasted onion and dry fruits.
- Ginger garlic paste is purely optional. I make in both the ways, both tastes equally good.