Mulakitta Men curry
Mulakitta Meen Curry
(Fish simmered and cooked in spicy and tangy gamboge gravy)
Mulakitta Meen Curry with Kudampuli.. Can’t stop drooling. In Kerala, meals without fish curry is near impossible for most of them. It is made daily at homes. This fish curry tastes best the next day when the (gamboge)kudampuli used in the curry releases its distinct tangy taste. The gamboge used in the fish curry has a lot of health benefits too.
I used to hate fish in my childhood days. But loved the tangy mulakitta curry without the fish in it. But now, after getting married to a fish lover, I have started to like fish. Mulakitta meen curry serves best with plain rice, kappa(cooked tapioca- a very famous kerala combo for most of the keralites), ghee rice, dosa, idly, appam, idiyappam, pathiri, neypathal, aridosa, puttu… The combinations are endless. Try the mulakitta meen curry with kudampuli and let me know how it turns out for you. 🙂
Off to the recipe,
- Fish – 1/2 kg, cleaned and cut
- Salt – As needed
- Coconut oil – 4 tbspn
- Fenugreek seeds – 1 tsp
- Shallots – 15-20 sliced
- Ginger – 1/2 inch piece (chopped)
- Garlic – 4 cloves (chopped)
- Green chillies – 3 sliced
- Tomato – 1 chopped
- Curry leaves – a few
- Gamboge(Kudampuli) – 2
- Water – 2 cups
To make a paste:
- Ginger – 1/2 inch piece
- Garlic – 5 cloves
- Turmeric powder – 1 tspn
- Chilly powder – 3 tspn
- Grind together all the ingredients under the “To make a paste”and set aside.
- Heat a claypot, add 3 tbspn of coconut oil, when heated season with fenugreek seeds.
- Now add in one by one, the shallots,salt, green chillies, curry leaves, ginger and garlic. Saute for a few minutes. When the shallots turn pink and the ginger garlic gives a wonderful aroma, add the ground spice paste .
- Saute until the raw smell of the spices goes away.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, saute and when it turns mushy add the washed kudampuli and stir for a minute.Check for salt and add more if needed.
- Now add the water and cook for 5 minutes on high flame till bubbles come.
- Add the cleaned fish pieces, and cook simmered on low flame covered for 15-20 minutes until the fish gets cooked and the curry reaches the right consistency.
- Add in 1 tbspn of coconut oil, few curry leaves and a green chilly slit (optional)on top, keep covered for a few minutes.
Enjoy your mulakitta meen curry with kudampuli with any side of your choice. I served it with plain rice for our weekend lunch along with fish fry, cheera parupp kootan, pappadam and pickle.
- While cooking the fish, take care the fish does not get overcooked and break into pieces.
- Adding a slit green chilly in the final step is a Niznaz tip to increase the flavour of the curry.
- You can make the mulakitta meen curry with any fish of your choice.
Enjoy the lipsmacking mulakitta meen curry with family.