Nadan Meen curry/ Fish curry
(Traditional style fish curry with coconut and tamarind/ mango)- MOM’s magic recipe
Thani Nadan Series #9
Staying away from home????Looking for a fish curry recipe that reminds you of home away from home?? Here it is!! The recipe that you wanted exactly. Yes, the authentic traditional fish curry recipe with tamarind and ground coconut fennel paste. The perfect comfort lunch combo(Fish curry meals)- Rice, Fish curry, Fish fry, stir fried vegetable, pappad and pickle.
Yet another mom’s magic recipe. The same thing happened this day too, it was mom who made the lunch and I was the only one to photoshoot but the duty to finish up the curry chatty was for my husband this time. He loved it. Yummmmmmmmm……………………….
Off to the recipe,
- Fish – 1/2 kg
- Salt – As needed
- Coriander powder – 3 tsp
- Chilly powder – 3 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Shallots – 5 sliced
- Tomato – 1 big sliced
- Green chilly – 3 slit
- Mango * -1 slit (or)
- Tamarind ** -1 small lemon size extract
- Water – 2-3 cups
To grind to a smooth paste:
- Coconut – 1 cup
- Fennel seeds – 1 tsp
- Water – 1 cup
To season :
- Coconut oil – 3 tbspn
- Shallots -5 sliced
- Fenugreek seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves – few
- Chilly powder -1 tsp
- Add salt, turmeric powder, chilly powder, coriander powder, shallots,tomato, tamarind extract/ mango, green chillies along with 2-3 cups of water in a clay pot.
- Cook covered in high flame until the veggies get cooked.
- Grind coconut, water and fennel to a smooth paste.
- Add the coconut paste to the cooked veggies and allow it to come to a rolling boil. Keep stirring so that the coconut paste does not get seperated.
- Add the fish pieces one by one and cook covered for 15-20 minutes or until done.Fish curry is ready.
- Season the fish curry by heating coconut oil in a pan,splutter the fenugreek seeds, add in shallots, curry leaves and cook until it gets crisp. Switch off the flame, add in 1 tsp of chilly powder and pour this mixture over the fish curry.
- Give a resting time of a minimum of 15 minutes so that the flavors set in.
- Enjoy your fish curry meals with your loved ones.
- You can make this curry with any fish of your choice. I used the sardine fish.
- You can make this curry either with mango*or tamarind**.
- If using mango add one mango which is sliced or if using tamarind, soak a small lemon sized ball of tamarind in 1/2 cup of water for a minimum of 15 minutes and take out the extract.
- Add water 2-3 cups based on the consistency of the gravy as per your preference.