(Yummy, spicy and tangy weekend breakfast)
Upma… :'( “ I will skip breakfast today. Is there anything else to eat mom? ” That’s the most common scenario in many South Indian homes . I was also one of them. Hated upma to the core. But slowly , I turned to be a upma fan. Upma .. Yummmm. The smell of the ghee in that hot soft upma. Lovely. Contrary to the upma haters, I know many people who are real hard core upma fans. They just love upma that they end up making upma thrice in a week. My love for upma and my husband’s attitude of upma is not a bad choice for breakfast made me make it often, and our love for pudina made me experiment the pudina flavor in upma. Yess,, it was a success. My husband loved it. He gave a thumbs up for it to be published in my blog. I wanted to try it with someone else too, their opinion on how my experiment succeeded. I gave it to my bro and sissy. They were like wow. <3 And here it is for my dear readers. If you love the flavor of pudina, you will love this sure-shot.
Off to the recipe,
- Rava – 1.5 cups
- Vegetable oil – 2 tbsp+ 3 tbspn
- Ghee – 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds – 1 tspn
- Cumin seeds – 1 tspn
- Onion – 1 sliced
- Lemon juice – 1/2 lemon
- Water – 3.5 cups
- Salt – As needed
To make a paste-
- Green Chillies – 6-7
- Coconut scraped – 3 tbspn
- Coriander leaves – a handful chopped
- Pudina leaves – a handful chopped
- Ginger – 1 inch piece
- Heat a pan, add 2 tsp of vegetable oil, when heated add the green chillies , coriander leaves, pudina leaves, coconut and saute well until the mix gives out a good aroma of the leaves. Switch of flame, set aside and allow it to cool.
- Grind well the above mix adding ginger in the small jar of a mixie.
- Heat a big pan, add the remaining oil, when heated splutter mustard seeds, cumin seeds, onion, salt and saute well. Once the onions turn pink in color, add the above mix and saute for 2 mins.
- Add the rava and stir well so that no lumps are formed.
- Add in the water and cook on medium flame untill the rava gets cooked. Keep stirring in between so that lumps are not formed and the mix does not stick to the bottom.
- When cooked, squeeze the juice of lemon , pour the ghee and give a quick stir.
- Serve hot garnished with coriander and mint leaves.
- We prefer using coconut oil.
- Adjust chillies according to your taste buds.
Enjoy your breakfast hot with family and a hot cup of coffee.