Pandan flavored coconut pudding
Happiest New Year 2019.. Wishing all my dear readers – a heapful of love, luck, peace, prosperity and happiness in the year 2019. This is my first post of the year. And I wanted this to be a different and a sweet one.
Buko Pandan is a dessert very popular in the Philippines made with tender coconut strips and pandan flavored jelly mixed in a milk sauce. I can tell you, this is one of the easiest desserts which you can prepare in less than 20 minutes . NO…NO…NO..I am not exaggerating. I am not taking into consideration, the time taken for the jelly to set and the time taken for the dessert to chill. I am just talking about the time for the efforts you put in.
Buko is tender coconut cut into strips, and Pandan is a herbaceous tropical plant that grows in Southeast-Asia. In Chinese, it is known as ‘fragrant plant’ because of its unique, sweet aroma. The cultivated plant features upright bright green leaves, and it’s the leaves that are desired for cooking up many Thai and Southeast-Asian dishes. In Southeast Asia, pandan leaves are used to lend a unique taste and aroma to some savory dishes, but mainly it is used to flavor desserts and some drinks. Pandan leaves have a naturally sweet taste and soft aroma. After tasting it once, you will never forget the flavor. Pandan leaves can also be used to wrap savory foods, such as chicken or sticky rice. The leaves impart these foods with an aromatic note and also give dishes visual appeal. Pandan leaves are much thinner in width compared to broad banana leaf.
Off to the recipe,
- Gelatin – 1 packet, 25 gms (Pandan flavored)*
- Water – 1 litre
- Buko (coconut strips) – 340 gms (I used siblings brand)
- Condensed milk – 1 tin
- Evaporated milk -1/2 tin – 1 tin (based on the quantity of sauce required)
- Thick cream – 2 packs
- Mix together the condensed milk, evaporated milk and thick cream together well. The milk sauce is ready.
- Strain the excess water from the buko (coconut strips)in the bottle.
- Cook the pandan flavored gelatin as follows:
a. Add 1 litre of water to a sauce pan. Empty the contents of the sachet in to the water, and cook stirring until it gets dissolved and the water comes to a rolling boil.
b. Strain the liquid and pour into a tray and allow it to set for minimum of 30 minutes. Cut into desired shapes of bite sized pieces.
- Add the buko, gelatin to the milk sauce and give a gentle stir.
- Allow it to cool in the refrigerator for a minimum of 30 minutes. Serve chilled.
Delicious, Aromatic and Healthy Buko Pandan is ready with the least of the efforts.