Dal based cabbage side dish perfect for rice
Thani Nadan # 12
My dear husband is a great fan of vegetables and would love the veggies in our meal whatever the form may be. His mom that is my dear mother in law is a great cook . If you have been a regular follower of my blog, you would have seen that in my many posts that she is a great cook her specials being Chicken Taj.
Apart from Chicken Taj, she is an expert in veg stir fry. Her hands add magic to the veggies that is what I can say coz I am not a big fan of vegetables except potato and cauliflower and when it is she who cooks, they have a special flavor and I love to have them whatever the vegetable may be. That is how my husband grew up and that is why he loves vegetables soo much.
Now coming to the dish, Cabbage is a regular in our weekly grocery and the only thing I used to cook with it was the regular stir fry which pairs very well with rice and sambar and also add it in mixed rice, as well as stuff it in any fillings for snacks.
But for us, this is the best way to cook cabbage, all 4 of us at home as well as my parents are a great fan of this yummy and comfort side dish for rice.
Off to the recipe,
- 1. Cabbage – 2 cups sliced
- 2. Green chilly -2+1
- 3. Salt – As needed
- 4. Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- 5. Moong dal – 2 tbspn
- 6. Channa Dal – 1 tbspn + 1 tsp
- 7. Coconut – 3 tbspn
- 8. Cumin – 1 tspn
- 9. Water – 1 cup + 1/4 cup approx.
- 10. Rice flour – 2 tbspn
- 11. Coconut oil – 3 tbspn
- 12. Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- 13. Cumin seeds – 1/4 tsp
- 14. Red chillies – 2 torn
- 15. Curry leaves – few
You can add any dal of your choice. You can either add moong dal only or channa dal only or a mixture of 2 dals.
Water needs to be added as per the consistency required.
If you like you kootu curry to be mashed cook for 4-5 whistles.
- Grind together 3 tbspn of coconut + 1 tsp of cumin + 1 green chilly + 2 tbspn on rice flour along with 1/4 cup of water and set aside.
- In a pressure cooker, add 2 cups of cabbage, 3 tbspn of dal, 2 green chillies, salt and 1/4 tsp of turmeric along with 1 cup of water.
- Cook for 2-3 whistles based on the consistency needed.
- When the pressure is gone, open the lid add the ground coconut cumin paste and allow it to boil.
- If you feel the gravy to be dry add 1/2- 1 cup of water.
- Season the kootu curry by adding mustard seeds – 1 tsp, cumin seeds – 1/4 tsp, red chilly 2 torn, curry leaves few in medium hot coconut oil.
Love and Regards