Crispy Deep Fried Vadas(Fritters) made of Urad Dal
Uzhunn Vada – that one dish which is my favorite and the one dish which remains unchanged right since my childhood days. It brings me a loooot of fond memories of my childhood, my home,my dad,my bro and the list goes on……..
Urad Dal is soaked overnight or a minimum of 4 hrs, ground to a smooth paste, fermented for again a minimum of 4 hrs, veggies are added and deep fried.
Off to the recipe,
- 1. Urad Dal(Uzhunn) – 1 cup
- 2. Salt – To Taste
- 3. Puttupodi – 1 tbspn
- 4. Rice powder – 1 tbspn(optional)
- 5. Baking soda – A pinch(optional)
- 6. Onion – 1 chopped
- 7. Curry leaves – a few chopped
- 8. Coriander leaves – a few chopped
- 9. Ginger – a small piece chopped
- 10. Chilly – 2 chopped *
- 11. Water – 1/4 – 1/2 cup
- 12. Oil – To deep fry.
* Add chillies according to ur taste . you can also replace chilly with a tsp of peppercorns.
Veggies are completely your choice. You can omit any of the above according to your taste preferences.
Before sharing the method, would like to share some tips.
- 1. Soak urad dal for a minimum of 4 hrs or overnight.
- 2. Grind in batches to a smooth paste adding little water until when a small ball of batter when dropped in a cup of water floats like a thermocol ball.
- 3.Fermentation is the key. You can readily fry the urad dal fritters but fermentation brings in the fluffiness inside your vada.
- 4. Rice flour is the key to crispiness.
- 5. SHAPE – I know all have a tough time shaping the vadas. The key to a good shape is using an iron strainer.Apply a few drops of water in the back of a strainer, Take a ball of batter keep it on the strainer , make a hole with your finger and gently drop the strainer in oil. It will automatically fall into the hot oil.
- 6.Fry in medium hot oil. Do not overcrowd the kadai.
- Soak the dal in water for a minimum of 4-6 hrs,
- Grind it to a smooth paste adding water little by little. (Do not add too much water).
- Ferment the batter for a minimum of 4 hrs. Add baking soda, salt,puttupodi and mix well. Let it rest for 15 minutes.
- If you feel the batter is a bit watery, add 1 tbspn of riceflour.
- Now add all the chopped vegetables and give a good mix. Do not over mix.
- Take an iron strainer, apply a few drops of water on the strainer, keep a dollop of batter behind the strainer, make a hole with your finger and gently drop the vada on to the hot oil.
- Deep fry in medium hot oil.
- Serve hot with tomato /coconut chutney.
Love and Regards,