(Spicy and tangy tomato upma- Easy and Filling)
Coming up with another breakfast burst from Cuizine de Haza. If you have read my previous post on Pudina Upma you will be knowing my love for upmas and how i try varieties of it. This is a easy and filling variation of the ordinary upma, but this is not my variation. This is mom’s magic. One of my favorites since childhood and mom makes it once in a while, since my dad is not much a fan of the tomato version. But me and my brother would crave for it. And years after marriage, I still love the tomato upma and now I have started creating my mom’s magic in Cuizine de Haza kitchen.
Off to the recipe,
- Rava – 1.5 cups
- Water – 3.5 cups
- Salt – As needed
- Oil – 3 tbspn
- Ghee – 2 tsp optional
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves -a few
- Onion – 1 sliced
- Green chilly – 3 sliced
- Gingergarlic paste – 1 tsp
- Chilly powder – 2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Mint leaves – 20 leaves chopped
- Coriander leaves – few
- Tomato -1 chopped
- Lemon – 1 squeezed
- Heat a heavy bottomed pan, non stick or a pressure pan( pressure lid not required). Add the oil. When heated , season with mustard seeds and curry leaves.
- Add green chillies, onion, salt and saute well. When onion turns pink, add the ginger garlic paste and saute for a few minutes until the raw smell goes away.
- Add the chilly powder and turmeric powder and keep sauteing. Now add in the mint leaves. Add the chopped tomato and Saute, saute , saute for 5 minutes till tomatoes become mushy.
- Add the rava, stir so that no lumps are formed. Add the water and cook closed till done.
- Squeeze the lemon juice, stir well. Add the ghee and garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with coconut chutney.
- While cooking the upma, keep stirring in between so that the upma does not stick to the bottom of the pan.
- This is a spicy version, adjust the chilly powder and chillies according to your spice well.
- Lemon juice is optional . You can omit it if you do not like the tangy taste.
- For a healthy diet breakfast omit the ghee.
Happy Breakfast Burst!!